Smith County Chamber of Commerce
Stop in for maps and area info, including a brochure for the 11-point, self-guided walking trail of Carthage, which features several historic homes and sites near downtown. Directly across the street, you'll find the gravesite of Colonel William Walton, founder of the town of Carthage.
939 Upper Ferry Rd. Carthage, TN
From pt. 21, turn L onto TN-53N. Go 4.6 miles, merge into TN-25W/E/Bypass. Go 0.7 mile, turn L at Upper Ferry Rd. to pt. 22.
More About: Albert Al Gore, Jr.
Carthage is the family home of Albert Al Gore, Jr., the 45th Vice President of the United States and 2000 Democratic Party presidential nominee. Gore began his political career by representing Tennessee as a U.S. Congressman and Senator just as his father (Al, Sr.) did.
Serving as the seat of Smith County, this former riverboat town was founded by Colonel William Walton, surveyor of the old Walton Road that connected West and Middle Tennessee. In the heyday of the steamboat era, this was known as the River City, an important stop for steamboat traffic with three ferries operating from the town.
Upper Ferry Rd. Carthage, TN
Youll arrive in pt. 23 on route to pt. 24.
Carthage Courthouse Square
Anchored by the historic 1875 Smith County Courthouse, this town square offers restaurants, shops, history and charm, with several sites on the National Historic Register. Park and walk to visit the highlights on and around the square (points 24-26).
3rd Ave. W. Carthage, TN
From pt. 22, continue on Upper Ferry Rd. toward Country Ln.; continue onto Main St. Go 0.3 mile, turn L at 3rd Ave. W. to pt. 24. Park and walk to pts. 24-26.
This 1904 hotel just off the town square was named for the original Walton Hotel, built by the town's founder. Still in operation, the Walton was a popular stopover for travelers on the Cumberland River, and the establishment was known for its fine food and entertainment. Today, the hotel offers modern guest rooms.
308 N. Main St. Carthage, TN
Smith County Heritage Museum
Immerse yourself in Smith County's history and heritage. See the photos, tools, uniforms and other items that have been preserved and passed down to us from days gone by. The museum has an extensive exhibit on the county's many Century Farms, working farms that have remained in the same family for more than 100 years. The museum is housed in a former manufacturing building. Open Thursday Noon to 4 pm; Friday and Saturday 10 am to 2 pm.
107 Third Ave. W. Carthage, TN
Pt. 26 is directly behind pt. 25.
More About: Pearling
By the late 1800s, pearlers by the hundreds armed themselves with knives and waded into area rivers and streams looking for pearls in mussel shells. A famous mussel bed and pearling ground was below Carthage on the Cumberland River. With the building of locks and dams, the practice of pearling died out by World War I.
Granville Marina & Resort
This is a great spot to spend an hour or a weekend. Stop here for beautiful lake views and homemade burgers and bologna sandwiches. Call for more information and hours of operation.
7316 Granville Hwy Granville, TN
Continue N on Main St., make slight R onto TN-25W. Take US-70N/ TN-53E ramp, keep R at fork, merge onto US-70. Go 5.6 miles, turn L onto TN-24E/ Cookeville Hwy. Turn L onto TN-53N/Granville Hwy to pt. 27.
Granville Bed & Breakfast and Gift Shop
This Granville business operates from the former post office, bank and mercantile buildings downtown, with rooms and suites for rent and antiques and gifts for sale. Make Granville an overnight stop on the trail and borrow a bicycle from the B&B to explore this small community's charm and natural beauty. Call for more information and hours of operation.
146 Clover St. Granville, TN
Turn R onto TN-96S/ Clover St., you'll arrive in Granville on route to pts. 28-31
T. B. Sutton General Store
Situated just a stone's throw from the Cumberland's banks, this was Granville's general store and grocery from the 1800s until the 1970s. Today, it has been beautifully restored to respect its heritage, with a second-floor balcony and many original features and fixtures. The space functions as a gift shop, family-style dining room, art gallery and bluegrass pickin' parlor the Sutton Ole Time Music Hour is recorded here on Saturday nights and broadcast worldwide. Open Wed.-Sat., noon-3 p.m.
169 Clover St. Granville, TN
Housed in an historic 1873 church building, this museum is filled with photos and memorabilia that provide a detailed pictorial history of Granville, along with artifacts and antiques from a bygone era. Open Wed.- Sat., noon-3 p.m.
173 Clover St. Granville, TN
More About: Deford Bailey
Born in Smith County near Bellwood, DeFord Bailey was one of the country’s most celebrated musicians of his time. Known as “The Harmonic Wizard,” he took the folk music of his rural upbringing to a national audience beginning in the 1920s. His famous harmonica solos, such as “Pan American Blues” and “Fox Chase” are recognized today as folk music masterpieces. Bailey’s contributions to country music, more specifically to the Grand Ole Opry, have earned him an important place in our musical heritage. Not only was Bailey the first African-American to win fame in country music, he was the very first artist to make records in Nashville. Bailey was even the first musician to play on WSM’s Grand Ole Opry and quickly became its biggest star. In 1927, after a classic music broadcast, WSM announcer George D. Hay introduced Bailey to the radio audience. Following Bailey’s performance of “Pan American Blues,” Hay mouthed the phrase that would become music history: “For the past hour we have been listening to music largely from Grand Opera, but from now on we will present the Grand Ole Opry.” The Grand Ole Opry, and the career of its new star, was born.
Take a tour of this 1800s homestead in the quaint town of Granville, led by knowledgeable guides in period costume. Visit the blacksmith, weaving, and grist mill shops as well as a museum and working pioneer village. Don't miss the Transportation Museum, also on the grounds, for a look back on the history of travel by wagon, river, and automobile. Open Wed.-Sat., noon-3 p.m.
186 Clover St. Granville, TN
More About: The Town Nameless
The nearby town of Nameless was actually named by a postmaster in 1866 when the residents could not agree on what to call the town.
Baxter has had various names in its history. Before the railroad, a post office there was called "Ai," a name borrowed from a biblical city of Canaanites. After a depot was built, it was called "Mine Lick." In 1902, the community post office and depot were named Baxter in honor of Jere Baxter, president of the Tennessee Central Railroad Company. The new town grew rapidly and farmers prospered as the rails brought distant markets within reach of their agricultural products. Baxter sawmills marketed railroad ties and other wood products.
US-70NE Baxter, TN
From pt. 31, travel E on TN-96S/Clover St. for 8.6 miles, turn L at US-70NE/Nashville Hwy. Go 5.6 miles. You'll drive through pt. 32 on route to pt. 33.
Twin Lakes Catfish Farm
Forget your license and grab the bait. This popular catfish farm stocks its fishing lakes weekly and you can keep your catch or catch and release. The restaurant serves up--you guessed it--fried catfish, along with many other favorites. Weekly fishing tournaments are held throughout the summer; full RV hook-ups and camping sites are available.
580 Gainesboro Hwy Baxter, TN
From US-70NE, turn L at TN-56N Scenic/Gainesboro Hwy. Go 0.5 mile to pt. 33.
Cummins Falls State Park
Listed as one of the 10 best swimming holes in the U.S. by Travel & Leisure magazine, Cummins Falls is Tennessee's eighth largest waterfall at 75 feet high. Originally granted to a Revolutionary War veteran in the late 18th century, eventually becoming a mill site in the 19th century, and now Tennessee's 54th state park, the site has been a favorite scenic area for visitors and residents for more than a century. Take in beautiful views, and find plenty of opportunities for swimming, picnicking, hiking and more.
390 Cummins Falls Road
DelMonaco Winery & Vineyards
The full wine experience starts here. Open daily, the site offers free walking tours of the vineyards and free tastings of its award-winning wines. Visitors may also browse the gift shop filled with wines and items for the wine connoisseur or novice, or just relax on the patio or in any of the open Bella Rooms.
600 Lance Dr. Baxter, TN
Return to US-70NE, turn L. Go E for 0.7 mile, turn R at Lance Dr. to pt. 34.
More About: The Small Town of Baxter
Although small, Baxter had its few minutes of fame when the town's little family store was featured in the Loretta Lynn biographical movie, "Coal Miner's Daughter."
Dipsy Doodle Drive In
Known simply as "The Doodle around town." Tackle one of its famous Giant Burgers, or sample a plate of chicken or catfish. Just leave room for a slice of mile-high pie or a Southern helping of banana pudding.
2331 W. Broad St. Cookeville, TN
Continue E. on US-70N for 2.5 miles to pt. 35.
Chosen for its two springs and its central spot in the new county of Putnam, Cookeville was chartered in 1856 as the county seat and named for Richard Fielding Cooke, who was instrumental in founding the county in 1854. The routing of the Nashville & Knoxville Railroad (later the Tennessee Central) through Cookeville in 1890 greatly stimulated its prosperity. The rails carried out products of its farms and forests and brought in manufactured goods. After a depot was built west of the square, businesses and residences sprang up nearby, giving Cookeville two commercial districts, WestSide and the Square.
40 E. Broad St. Cookeville, TN
Youll arrive in pt. 36 on route to pt. 37.
More About: Cordell Hull
The person behind the name of Cordell Hull Lake is rich in political history — locally, nationally and internationally. Born in a log cabin in present-day Pickett County, Hull graduated from Cumberland School of Law at Cumberland University and was admitted to the bar as a teenager. He became the elected chairman of the Clay County Democratic Party at the age of 19. Hull was a local judge and served in the Tennessee House of Representatives and later served for 11 terms in the United States House of Representatives. He was elected to the Senate in 1930, but resigned in 1933 to become secretary of state. He is known best as the country’s longest- serving secretary of state, holding that position for 11 years (1933-1944) under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and throughout much of World War II. Hull became an important force in the creation of the United Nations and in 1945 was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for “co-initiating the United Nations.”
Ralph’s Donut Shop
Hang out with the locals whose morning rituals bring them to this legendary shop for breakfast and lots of good talk. Open throughout the day and also the perfect stop for a late-night treat, Ralph's has been a Cookeville tradition for more than 50 years.
59 South Cedar Ave. Cookeville, TN
From pt. 35, continue E on US-70N/W. Broad St. Go 4 miles, turn L at S. Cedar Ave. to pt. 37.
WestSide Cultural District
Look for the vintage Cream City Ice Cream sign and you'll know you've arrived! Take a walk on the WestSide and relive the days of old in this unique and historic part of Cookeville. You'll find everything from cafés and restaurants to shops and galleries. As you discover the WestSide, dont miss highlights at points 38-44.
Broad St., Spring St., Cedar Ave., W. 1st St. & Depot St. Cookeville, TN
Continue on Cedar Ave. N for 0.1 mile to pt. 38.
Cookeville- Putnam Chamber of Commerce & CVB
Did You Know?Cookeville is one of the smallest towns in the Southeast to be home to a professional, full-blown symphony orchestra Bryan Symphony Orchestra. The group performs at nearby Tennessee Tech University which was recently named one of Americas 100 Best College Buys.
1 W. 1st St. Cookeville, TN
Cookeville Depot Museum
All aboard for a trip back in time. The museum has an extensive collection of railway artifacts, memorabilia and photographs of the railroad's history in Putnam County. See running scale trains, then hop on an authentic 1913 Baldwin 10 Wheeler steam engine. Built in 1909, this depot is notable for being one of only three brick depots erected by the Tennessee Central Railway Company and for its unusual pagoda-style roof design. It was often referred to as the jewel in the rail company's crown. Free admission.
116 W. Broad St. Cookeville, TN