Sevierville Visitor Center
Stop for extra tourism info and get ready to trail blaze!
3099 Winfield Dunn Pkwy Sevierville, TN
Start at Sevierville Visitor Center.
More About: Sevierville
The first inhabitants of Sevierville were Native Americans. Arriving in 200 A.D., they built villages around an area known as Forks of the River, where the east and west prongs of the Little Pigeon River joined together. By the early 1700s, the Cherokee controlled the Tennessee side of the Smoky Mountains, including the Sevierville area, and used the land as their hunting grounds. By the mid-1700s, European long hunters and traders arrived, creating conflict with the Native Americans who had roamed the land for centuries. The most notable of these was Isaac Thomas, Sevierville’s first white settler. By 1794, Sevier County and its county seat, Sevierville, were established. Both the city and county were named for John Sevier, an early Tennessee settler who gained status during the Revolutionary War after leading colonists to victory over the British in the Battle of Kings Mountain. Sevier was later named governor of the State of Franklin, the unofficial (and never formally recognized) 14th state carved out from a portion of North Carolina in the late 1700s. In 1784, John Sevier was again made governor of a brand new state: Tennessee. As the 16th state in the Union, Tennessee also included the former state of Franklin. Sevier later went on to serve four terms in the U.S. Congress before his death in 1815.
French Broad River
One of only two rivers that flows north, its also the worlds third oldest river, behind the Nile and New Rivers. The French Broad flows for 210 miles through Asheville, North Carolina, into Tennessee, then into the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico.
Parkway Sevierville, TN
Turn R on Pkwy. Cross river in 2.1 miles.
More About: America's First Frontier
In 1763, King George III proclaimed that no English settlement be made west of the Appalachian Mountains. He wanted to keep an eye on his 13 colonies and didn’t want them trespassing on Cherokee land. So for years, that imaginary line separated the colonies from the vast western unknown. It wasn't long before the settlers grew restless and impatient, and the frontier looked as inviting as ever. They filtered down the Watauga, Nolichucky and Holston Rivers, and in 1772, formed the Watauga Association. Many historians agree that this was America’s first “declaration” of independence. They built Fort Watauga at Sycamore Shoals (in Elizabethton) to fend off attacks by the Native Americans. This didn’t sit well with supporters of the British monarchy, who demanded - repeatedly - that the settlers move back east. They refused and continued to grow the settlement, putting down roots in the land we now know as Tennessee.
Robert Tino Gallery
Inside the historic Riley Ande's home place, this 1890s house is open daily as the gallery of local artist Robert Tino. View wonderful art and see the homes historical details gingerbread work on the front porch, ornately carved living room mantle and a beautifully crafted end table created by African-American master craftsman Lewis Buckner.
812 Old Douglas Dam Road Sevierville, TN
Turn R on Winfield Dunn Pkwy., go 3.1 miles. Turn R on Bruce St., L on Old Douglas Dam Rd. to pt. 5.
More About: Lewis Buckner
Born and raised as a slave in nearby Jefferson County, Lewis Buckner became a renowned African-American carpenter, cabinetmaker and home builder in Sevier County at the turn of the 20th century. The son of a white father and African-American mother, he trained as an apprentice in Sevierville after the Civil War, and soon became a respected cabinetmaker and business owner. Buckner’s unique style placed Victorian architectural elements, like decorated porches, staircase and ornate mantles, into the simple farmhouses of East Tennessee. The New Salem Church (featured on trail) once housed ornate pews and a pulpit designed by Buckner. With no two pieces exactly alike, his beautifully created furniture, mantels and cabinets are valuable heirlooms today.
Built in 1896, the Sevier County Courthouse is the centerpiece of downtown. At a cost of $21,042, this is the fifth one built within 100 years after the others burned at various times. Prominent African American brick mason, Isaac Dockery, was instrumental in the citys post Civil War construction boom and was hired to complete the brick work for the courthouse. Walk to other highlights in downtown including D Garden Floratique housed in historic Sevierville Hardware building, and a photo opportunity at, the bronze statue of hometown girl Dolly Parton.
125 Court Ave. Sevierville, TN
Backtrack to Winfield Dunn Pkwy. and turn L. Go 1.3 miles. Turn L on Int. 15.6, W. Main St./ US-411. Turn R on Int. 15.7/Court Ave. to pt. 6.
More About: Dolly Parton
Sevierville is the hometown of internationally known singer, songwriter and entertainer Dolly Parton. The fourth of 12 siblings, Dolly grew up in a poor farming family and dreamed of becoming a famous singer. With the help of her extended family, she cut her first single and made her first Grand Ole Opry appearance before she even began her freshman year at Sevier County High School. Her big break came when she was hired for country music star Porter Waggoner’s weekly television program, gaining exposure that launched her prolific studio career and worldwide presence as a country musician, crossover pop icon, film star and international legend. Parton’s music is rooted here in East Tennessee, with classic, gutsy songs written for and about this area and its unique Southern culture. She has always given back to her community. Through her literacy program, Imagination Library (now in 47 states and 3 countries), her work to improve medical care in Sevier County and her attractions, which provide jobs for area residents, Dolly has truly boosted the area’s economy and quality of life.
Dwight & Kate Wade House
(Private Residence) The Wade's purchased plans for this 1940 home while on their honeymoon at the 1939 New York World's Fair. The Garden Home design was an Art Moderne style house plan featured in the exhibit "Town of Tomorrow" and was created by famed female architect Verna Cook Salomonsky. The Wade House may be the first documented replica of a "Town of Tomorrow" house in America, and certainly the first in Tennessee.
114 Joy St. Sevierville, TN
From pt. 6, continue 1.5 blocks, turn L on Joy St. to pt. 7.
Lewis Buckner built a number of houses in a 40 year period, 15 of which still stand. This 1895 home is a Buckner construction.
217 Cedar Street Sevierville, TN
Continue to stop sign, turn R on Pkwy., turn L on Cedar St. to pt. 8.
New Salem Church
This church built by Isaac Dockery in 1886, is Sevierville's oldest surviving public building. Constructed as a Union Church for and by African-American congregations, it remains the only such church in the county. Occupied over the years by different denominations, it originally contained pews and pulpit furniture created by Lewis Buckner.
Eastgate Rd. Sevierville, TN 37876
Continue E 0.2 mile to Grace Ave., take 2nd R onto Gary R. Wade Blvd./High St., turn L on Eastgate Rd., go 0.3 mile to pt. 10.
Forks of the Little Pigeon River Cemetery
This cemetery contains the graves of some of the areas first settlers, including Spencer Clack, who fought with John Sevier at the Battle of Kings Mountain in the Revolutionary War; Isaac Thomas, Sevierville's first settler; and James McMahan, who gave the original 25 acres for Sevierville. It was the church yard of the Forks of the River Baptist Church, which later moved and changed its name to First Baptist Church of Sevierville.
100-198 Emert Ave. Sevierville, TN
From lot, turn R on Eastgate Rd., turn L on Henderson Ave., turn L on US-411/Dolly Parton Pkwy. Prior to Int. US-411/441, turn R on Emert Ave.; road ends at pt. 11.
McMahan Indian Mound
While driving by here, consider its history. Native Americans established a village near this mound between 1200-1500 A.D. An 1881 excavation of the site unearthed burials, arrow-points, pottery and engraved objects. The mound is named from its location at the time of the excavation - a farm owned by the McMahan family.
Forks of the River Parkway Sevierville, TN
Return to E. Main St./US-411. At Int. 15.6/E. Main St./US-441S, turn L which turns into Forks of the River Pkwy. Look for pt. 12 in 0.4 mile.
Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant
Built in 1921, this six-room farmhouse, known as the Roger Mullendore House, is now a restaurant, well liked for its charm and home cookin. In the parlor, look for woodwork by craftsman Lewis Buckner. The site is a working apple orchard, and also features a general store and cider mill (housed in the original barn) and winery.
Restaurant 250 Apple Valley Rd. Sevierville, 865-428-1222
The Apple Barn & Cider Mill 230 Apple Valley Rd. Sevierville, 865-453-9319
The Apple Barn Winery 220 Apple Valley Rd. Sevierville, 865-428-6850
220 Apple Valley Road Pigeon Forge, TN
Continue on US-441/Pkwy. At Int. 15.0, turn R to stay on Pkwy. Turn R in 2.6 miles on Apple Valley Rd., go 0.3 mile to pt. 13. Return to Pkwy., turn R to pt. 14.
Pigeon Forge Welcome Center
Get some information on the town of Pigeon Forge.
3171 Parkway Pigeon Forge, TN
Return to Pkwy., turn R to pt. 14.
Filled with more than 120 interactive adventures that challenge the mind and body, this upside-down attraction is fun for everyone.
100 Music Rd. Pigeon Forge, TN
Return to US-441/Pkwy., turn R. Go 0.4 mile and look for upside-down museum.
Titanic Pigeon Forge
Tour 20 galleries filled with authentic artifacts carried from the infamous ship by passengers and crew as it sank into the ocean in 1912. Learn their stories at the world's largest permanent Titanic exhibit.
2134 Pkwy. Pigeon Forge, TN
From lot, turn R back onto US-441/Pkwy. Go 0.2 mile; cant miss pt. 16.
This is the only place in the U.S. for globe riding, the sport of rolling down a hill in a large, inflatable globe. The next closest site is New Zealand.
203 Sugar Hollow Road Pigeon Forge, TN
Turn R on Pkwy. Go 0.3 mile, turn L on Sugar Hollow Rd. Go 0.4 mile to pt. 17.
Middle Creek United Methodist Church
In the early 1800s, Methodists gathered at this spot for revivals led by traveling preachers and it became known as "Middle Creek Campground." Then in 1902, the current church was constructed on this site. Built by local craftsmen, it is the countys best example of a Gothic Revival style church building.
1569 Promise Way Pigeon Forge, TN
Backtrack your way to Pkwy.
In the 1890s, this area just south of the Old Mill was called String Town because of several houses that were strung together in a row along the bank of the river. Only two original houses remain. One became the First National Bank in 1988 and much of the original structure was preserved.
3416 S. River Rd. Pigeon Forge, TN
From Pkwy., turn L on Int. 7/Old Mill Ave. Go 420 ft. to pt. 20.
The Old Mill
Pioneer Isaac Love created an iron forge here in 1820 and son, William, built a tub mill 10 years later. This water-powered gristmill was one of the hubs of activity in town, producing meals, flours and even the towns electricity. Today, it is one of the most photographed mills in the country, and it still grinds the flour and meal used every day in the kitchens of The Old Mill Restaurant and The Old Mill Pottery House Café & Grille. Pick some up at The Old Mill General Store, enjoy a delicious meal at either restaurant, or stroll the shops on the Old Mill Square for area crafts and goodies.
Old Mill Restaurant: 865-429-3463
Pottery House Café & Grill: 865-453-6002
Old Mill & General Store: 865-453-4628
175 Old Mill Road Pigeon Forge, TN
Cross over Pigeon Creek, and continue on Old Mill St. Cant miss pt. 21 (Old Mill) on R, then pt. 22 (Pottery) on L. 175 Old Mill Ave.
The Old Mill Pigeon River Pottery
Douglas and Ruth Ferguson established their pottery business in 1946. For decades they used local clays to create their art. The shop's original location burned in 1957, and was rebuilt in the same location using, in part, bricks salvaged from the old Gatlinburg jail. The original Ferguson home now serves as the Café & Grille.
Old Mill Street Pigeon Forge, TN
Continue on Old Mill, turn R on Teaster Ln.
Open early spring to Dec., Dollywood features amusement-style thrill rides and celebrates the Appalachian culture and heritage that surround it with craft demonstrations and festivals. And of course, it's only fitting that Dollywood provides live music and entertainment, drawing visitors from around the world, and you can still take a look at the locomotive that inspired it all. See calendar at Dollywood.com.
1198 McCarter Hollow Rd Pigeon Forge, TN 37862
From Teaster Ln., at stop sign of Veterans Pkwy./Dollywood Ln., turn L and follow Dollywood signs, or turn R to head back to trail.
More About: Dollywood
One of the 25 most visited theme parks in the U.S., Dollywood is a key player in both Sevier County's and Tennessee's tourism.You could say that seeds for Dollywood were planted in 1910. That's when the Smoky Mountain Railroad started a line that ran from Sevierville to Knoxville, and after World War II, a line to Douglas Dam for TVA's construction materials. The railroad shut down in 1962 and sold some of the locomotives. One was purchased by the Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel, where it is still on display, and another one went to a local park, the Rebel Railroad. This attraction first opened in 1961 and featured a steam train, general store, blacksmith shop, and saloon. In 1966 it was renamed Goldrush Junction and, believe it not, in 1970, it sold to the Cleveland Browns football team. In 1976, Jack and Pete Herschend bought the park and later renamed it Silver Dollar City, Tennessee as a sister park to the original operating near Branson, Missouri. In 1986, Dolly Parton became a co-owner of the park and it was renamed Dollywood.
Gatlinburg / Great Smoky Mountains National Park Welcome Center
Stop here for great information about the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
1011 Banner Rd Gatlinburg, TN
From Veterans Pkwy./Dollywood Ln., cross over Pkwy. to turn L on Pkwy. towards Gatlinburg. Go 4.5 miles on Pkwy./US-441/TN-71 through downtown. Turn R on Banner Rd., then L, 59 ft. to pt. 24.